It is amusing that I am often asked ‘why are you single’.
It is perhaps the most commonly posed question, second to ‘are you pregnant’.
I am not pregnant… I simply love carbs and tacos. Thank you.
I have chosen singlehood at this time and am comfortable within it.
I have been single since deciding to divorce July 2014 and finalizing Feb. 2015.
During these 5+ years, I have not had a significant other or even been on a date.
Therefore, I decided with Valentine’s Day approaching to address the question.
The answer is not necessarily simplistic or short.
The question is often paired with a qualifier, including:
- You are attractive/ intelligent.
- You are established/successful.
- You have a sense of humor/good personality.
- You enjoy camping, mudding, shooting, whiskey, cigars, etc.
Thus, the simplistic, dismissive, and ‘easy’ response would be “I intimidate men”.
- I hope the majority of the male gender (CIS) would not be so easily intimidated by a woman who is able and willing to be at least their equal.
- It fails to recognize my singlehood as an active choice.
If I chose to seek a significant other, I am confident that I could find a warm-bodied male who is able and willing. However, I am not confident that he would necessarily be the person I would need, or further want, as a partner in this life.